Saturday, August 18, 2012

Cycles of Death, Part 3

PART TWO

[Exit ROBERT, Enter DOUG]

DOUG:
Mary. I called you earlier, but there
Was no answer. I was hoping to see
You later. Mary, you're quiet? Are you
Okay?

MARY:
           Doug, do you dream often?

DOUG:
                                                     I don't
Often remember them.

MARY:
                                    I always do.
I see so much in my dreams. How nice it
Would be to walk around them. To see, to
Touch and feel this fake world as though it
Were real, as though it were a place one could
Live forever.

DOUG:
                   I've never thought of it.

MARY:
I imagine my own perfect world.
A place just for me to be free and 'live.
No dismay, no despair. Freedom, pure joy.
All the things I could ever want.

DOUG:
                                                That's
All you want?

MARY:
                  I'm speaking in broad strokes, Doug.
Those are the general things that I think
Everyone wants.

DOUG:
                          That's true.

MARY:
                                           Don't you want to
Live in such a world? Don't you want to
See a true fantasy? Don't you want to
Know this kind of perfection?

DOUG:
                                              Sure.

MARY:                                           But it
Can't ever be truly perfect, can it?
Our thoughts will always get in the way of
Our ability to find our pers'nal
Utopia. No matter how much we
Look for that bright path, we'll only find the
Shadow.

DOUG:
              Sometimes we need a guide. Someone
To help us find the way when we've lost it.

MARY:
I don't know if I'll ever find that sort
Of guide again.

DOUG:
                      You miss Eric?

MARY:
                                              I do.
And my father. Instead, I have Robert,
The dreg who puts his sick spell on my mom.
She's innocent, sweet, and knows only love.
But this monster, this cretin with no sense
Of morals or justice, exploits her and
Uses her for what she has. He only
Loves the material.

DOUG:
                            You're not alone.
I mean, you have me. I'll always be here
When you need me. I mean, someone. I won't
Ever leave you alone if you need a
Person to be with.

MARY:
                            Thank you, Doug.

DOUG:
                                                        I'm here.

MARY:
You'll always be my best friend.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment